Tag Archives: project

lirkr technology news screen cap

Lirkr is coming along… finally

Recently after working out some kinks and rewriting the text storage engine I decided to push the dates for launch back to smooth some little quirks and quarks out… There has also been an overhaul of the news page happening and I have decided that rather than create news for the technology folk I would make news for everyone and just have a really cool/fun technology section for those of us nerds with downtime.

The current large issue with news is that I would like to use APIs to pull the news feed content; however, this is not always the case with some of the more reputable journals and blogs on the internet. I would have loved to pull content from BBC but have found that there is no public api for the news page, which makes sense after all since it is their revenue stream. I have decided that another day I will try to hack something together and see what I can dig up as far as an xml or json version of the feed goes. There must be something and with further inspection of their mobile app/site I should be able to find something.

lirkr technology news screen cap

Technology news page

 

As it currently stands the page could use a fair amount of work but I am content for the time being. The next step is to add a proper api caching layer, write the general/world news page then call it a day and move on to the more technical task of searching algorithms and searching algorithms and searching algorithms…

In between wanting to no longer live because of the searching algorithms I will add the search auto-complete functionality since that is pretty important I suppose…

 

 

Day 4 of development results.

The game thus far has gotten a little more complicated. The graphics are less than ideal but I have spoken to a man that knows graphics so hopefully that will get going soon enough. I worked on porting to Android last night and the whole process took about 2 hours which wasn’t bad. (time includes environment set up).

The problems I am currently facing are the following: the canvas on android is slow. I haven’t hit any issues yet and the game is running at 20 frames per second but I feel like this is going to lag with long lasting games so cleanup will need to be done on some of the objects in the game. The second problem is that I am using Cordova (formerly PhoneGap) which is an excellent product but it is not built for game development so there is a lot of un-necessary¬†overhead which makes me want to do it all again in Java.

There is a demo version located here but it doesn’t include a pretty large list of features.

http://atomicbucket.com/games/units/v1/

The linked version is lacking randomly generated map, units unbalanced, specific logic, large list of bug fixes.

 

I will not be working on the game today but there is a very large list of things to do that will make this game a little more unique. One of which is sound…

30 Day Project

New years resolution time!

Work out more.
Make meals from home to take to the office.
Make a new web/proof of concept/mobile application in 30 days every 30 days. (should spark some new things to write about)
Index 1 billion websites.
Work with perl again.

This article is more about the 30 day projects every thirty days and this is the first day of this project cycle. I am actually going to just pretend that it is the 3rd day of the project just so I can work on something new every month. I can then have a better range of articles to work with and categorize them based on when I started development for said project. I also plan on giving my projects better names in the articles rather than call something an engine and just refer to it as an html5 project…

Anyway, just wanted to update and I might as well bring up the new project. I have just finished the OAuth script and tied it in with twitter to allow user access via the tweets. I have also registered a new domain for the project http://epitrakk.com/ The idea is that a user will be able to insert how far along they are in a series or check off the episodes that they have seen already. Simple concept and I should be able to OD on monster and have something operational in the next week or two.

 

Crawling the Web Again

A while back I started to work on the crawler and I am about to start working on it once again. This time I will be optimizing, storing the information and logging the speed of the database transaction to test how the cloud hosting service is handling this many connections.

Thank you for the unlimited bandwidth and transfer dreamhost because I will be making good use of your service tonight. I don’t plan on turning off this service and I would like to add in some form of multi tasking on the server. or at least increasing the connections made per second. So far it is indexing 10 sites a second but I think I could easily get that up to 50 with a little bit of work and a little lack of sleep.